What does retrograde mean?
When an astrologer says that a planet is retrograde, it means that the retrograde planet appears as though it is moving backward relative to Earth. The planet is not actually moving backward, but it seems to be moving backward. You will also, from time to time, hear the word station. This word basically means that a planet appears to have stopped moving, relative to our planet Earth. Planets never actually stop moving, but it seems for a time as though the planet has stopped moving.
What You Need to Know About a Mercury Retrograde
At the bare minimum, any Mercury retrograde period will typically involve at least some of the following regardless of the sign that Mercury is going to be in.
• Computer and mechanical malfunctions.
• Traffic jams and travel delays
• Miscommunication and misunderstandings
• Unnecessary arguments or disagreements
• Problems with siblings or very close friends
• Unfair contracts or contractual problems
• Confusion tends to come easily
Ideally, before a Mercury Retrograde and even during it, you should:
• Make data and hard drive backups
• Make phone book address backups or hard-copies
• Plan to leave extra early to get to somewhere on time
• Hold your tongue and listen carefully without judgment to what others say
• Take the extra time to explain your point of view and check to make sure others really understand
• Walk away from arguments or disagreements that are likely going to be petty
• Be extra sensitive to your siblings and closest of friends as they are more likely to get upset during this period.
• Avoid signing contracts. If you must sign a contract, double-check it, and make sure you fully understand everything that is being signed.
• During times of confusion, consider waiting before making any critical decisions.
What You Should Know About Mars Retrograde
At the bare minimum, any Mars retrograde period will typically involve at least some of the following regardless of the sign that Mars is going to be in.
• An increase in violence and/or violent behavior
• People are more likely to be accident-prone
• People are more likely to act impulsively without thinking things through
• Issues with sexual organs
• Problems with sex (difficulties with arousal, unmatched moods, poor performance, etc.)
• Problems with brothers or brother figures.
• Anger and irritability tend to be more common.
• Delays in projects or work occur
Ideally, before a Mars Retrograde and even during it, you should:
• Practice some form of meditation or mind-calming exercise.
• Avoid situations, and places that you already know are dangerous.
• Try to remain extra calm in tense situations with other people.
• Take time to really think about how your actions will impact you and others before leaping into them.
• Get a medical check-up regardless of if it’s time to do so or how you feel.
• Be extra patient with your sexual partner and work to help create the right atmosphere and mood to make the experience more enjoyable for both of you.
• Be extra sensitive to your brother and closes of male friends as they are more likely to get upset during this period.
• Avoid petty battles and arguments as they can blow up and become larger ones.
• Trust your intuition. Don’t go places where you feel you shouldn’t be and don’t do things you think you shouldn’t do.
• Take your time and slow down. Most accidents happen when people are in a hurry.
• Learn to evaluate what’s being worked on, what’s important, and what can wait. Be sure to make to-do lists and to prioritize those lists. Be ready to be flexible and to change the to-do list order and priorities.
What You Should Know About Saturn Retrograde
At the bare minimum, any Saturn retrograde will typically involve some of the following regardless of the sign that Saturn is in:
• A lack of organization.
• A lack of ambition.
• Increased career responsibilities.
• Problems within a career.
• Difficulties with older people, the elderly, or authority figures.
• Karma tends to catch up to people.
• A feeling of stagnation.
• A feeling that there isn’t enough time to get things done.
• General feelings of sadness and/or depression.
Ideally, before a Saturn Retrograde and during it, you should:
• Work on your organization and have an organization system in place.
• Listen to, watch, or read something motivational or inspirational each day
• Realize that when you’re working, it’s going to require more effort, but the efforts will pay off when the retrograde period has ended.
• Realize that most problems that arise in your career are only temporary, and you should work hard not to emotionally overreact to them.
• Pay attention to patterns and be ready to break old patterns and start new ones.
• Prioritize your time and keep to-do lists with time tables. Be sure to pencil in sleep, recreation, and other requirements along with the must-do activities. Yes, that’s a lot of work – but it really pays off.
Important Closing Words
It’s important to understand that typically 2 to 4 of the events mentioned will take place, but certainly not all of them. Though some people may find themselves experiencing every one of these events mentioned, that would not be the norm. We learn about what’s possible so that we can be more aware and more emotionally and mentally prepared for what may arise. Additionally, by thinking about how one will handle events before they occur, a person is more likely to handle them correctly and successfully.