Ever since I was ordained as a metaphysical minister I’ve been offering spiritual counseling. Spiritual counseling is an important service, but some people are afraid to get involved in it. In fact, there seems to be a perception that psychic readings are “better” than spiritual counseling and that only severely mentally harmed people would do any type of counseling, including spiritual based counseling.
I want to take today to explain some of the core differences between psychic readings and spiritual counseling and why a person may want to think about doing spiritual counseling as opposed to getting a psychic reading.
Five Differences between Spiritual Counseling and Psychic Readings
So what are the key differences between these two modalities of helping people?
1. To start with, spiritual counseling is focused mostly on the here and now. In some cases, it digs deep into the past, but many times the focus stays in the present. Psychic readings, on the other hand, have the intention and focus of mostly making predictions about the future. As such, one could say that psychic readings are for people who want to know more about what appears to be coming up in their life and spiritual counseling is designed more for people who want to chart and create their own life. While it is true that psychic readings can sometimes involve spiritual counseling, the real purpose of a reading isn’t so much to be counseled or advised but to have an idea of what appears to be coming in the future. Spiritual counseling isn’t so concerned with what appears to be coming in the future, but rather on healing from the past or using the present moment to have a deeper degree of awareness into the self or others.
2. Another key difference between psychic readings and spiritual counseling is most psychic readings make use of a tool or tools. These would be things like astrology charts, tarot cards, numerology, runes, oracle decks, crystal balls, etc. These tools help to access information and provide insight into what appears to be coming in the future. Sure, there are some psychics that use their natural clairvoyant and/or channeling abilities to access information, but the majority has some type of tool they make use of. Regardless of if a tool is used or a reader is tuning into their natural abilities or a spiritual guide, psychic readings are all about getting information from a source other than the client. Spiritual counseling, on the other hand, usually involves no tools at all. It’s straight up having a conversation with a person. The spiritual counselor is getting their information from the client and is helping the client to process and understand their own life, insights, emotions, and intuitions.
3. In a psychic reading, the psychic is doing most of the talking. They are making predictions and pass along information from angels, guides, etc about where it appears things are going and important things to keep in mind as one moves into the future. In spiritual counseling, the session is more like a conversation between two people and the person getting the session will typically do most of the talking. Very few questions are asked by the reader in a psychic reading whereas in spiritual counseling, the counselor tends to ask MANY questions.
4. Another difference is how a person processes the information of the session. In a psychic reading, most of the information is processed after the session is over and when the client is away from the reader. The client is left with the important task of figuring out what was right or wrong and deciding how to best use the information moving forward. In spiritual counseling, most information and emotions are processed during the session. While there may be some homework that is assigned, usually the main processing happens while speaking with the spiritual counselor.
5. Finally, psychic readings are best done once in a while. The average psychic reading client will get a session usually no more than 2-4 times a year. There are some people who become addicted to readings and find themselves getting them often, but the average person will get a reading no more than 4 times a year. In rare cases, a person may want to have sessions weekly to stay on top of things, but the general rule is less is better because there must be time allowed for things to happen and transpire. People typically continue to see a psychic reader for years and years. Spiritual counseling, on the other hand, is usually done once a week on the onset and lasts for 6 weeks to 3 months at which time most clients feel they no longer need the spiritual counselor.
Which Type of Session Should I Get?
Now that you are aware of the key differences between a psychic reading and spiritual counseling, you may be wondering which type of session is best for you. Consider the following:
- If your goal is to know about the future, you certainly want a psychic reading.
- If you like to be entertained and want the “wow” factor of being impressed, you should focus more on psychic readings.
- If the goal is to heal from the past, you are better off with spiritual counseling.
- If you’re lonely and need someone to talk with, spiritual counseling is your better option.
- If you’re trying to forgive someone and having difficulty doing so, spiritual counseling is the right choice.
- If you want to feel like you have more say and control in your life and that you are in charge of your own destiny, spiritual counseling is the way to go.
- If you’re going to tell your reader you are using them as a therapist, don’t get a reading, but ask for spiritual counseling.
- If you are having a crisis or feel out of control emotionally, do spiritual counseling as the psychic reading won’t be as accurate as it could be.
- If you are in a calm emotional state with no ongoing crisis, a psychic reading can offer you insights into what may be coming so that you can work to change it, embrace it, or be better equipped to work through it.
Spiritual counseling and psychic readings are two methods of helping another person and they are not the same.
Spiritual counseling tends to be more ongoing and focuses on the counselor listening and helping the client process information as well as healing from the past. This is usually done through talking and listening as well as asking important questions and homework assignments. Spiritual counseling can help a wide range of problems including finding a mate, relationship issues, parenting issues, depression, anxiety, phobias, trauma, forgiveness, general companionship, and many others.
Psychic readings, on the other hand, tend to focus on making predictions for the future. Sometimes this is done with the help of tools (like tarot cards or astrology charts) and sometimes it is information that comes from psychic abilities (like clairvoyance) or spiritual guides. Psychic readings are sessions that are best done when a person is in a stable frame of mind without an emotional crisis in their life.
Both can be empowering and helpful but approaches things very differently.