Meditation provides many benefits to the practitioner. When a psychic development student meditates regularly it provides the added benefits of helping to improve their psychic ability. The reason a person’s psychic abilities develop quicker for meditation practitioners is because those that meditate learn to have a great deal of mental control. This is the same mental control which is required to access and use psychic power. But how does a beginner start to mediate? Consider the following guide.
Taking the time to properly prepare for a meditation session will make your meditations more successful and beneficial. The following steps can help for planning an effective meditation session:
- Select a time to meditate. Make an attempt to meditate at the same time everyday.
- Select a place to meditate. As with the time, make it a goal to use the same place for each meditation session.
The reason a serious student of meditation uses the same time and same place is because they are trying to form a healthy habit. Just as it becomes easier to fall asleep when we use our bed and bedroom only for sleep, so to will it become easier over time to get into a meditative state.
- Make an attempt to not be interrupted. Turn the phones off. Put the pets away. Tell family and friends to stay away during meditation time. It becomes very difficult to get back into a meditative state when a person is suddenly brought out of it.
- Set the right mood and atmosphere for meditation. Adjust the lighting so it’s comfortable. Wear loose clothing with nothing tight around the body. If meditation music is to be played make sure it is non intrusive. Considering burning some incense for five to ten minutes prior to starting a meditation session. Nag Champa, Sandalwood, and Song of India are all good brands that can help enhance meditation time.
- Assume the right meditation position. It is best not to mediate lying down as that is the position which when relaxed people naturally will fall asleep. Sitting with the back as straight as comfortable and not having any other body parts crossed is one of the better meditation positions to use. The exception to the crossing rule is if one decides to sit in the lotus position.
- Take the time to fully relax every part of your body. Start with the mind and work through each individual body part. A person can’t ever really meditate if they aren’t relaxed first.
The Meditation Process
The actual process of meditating is a simple one that requires only four basic steps.
- Start by taking a deep breath in through the nose a four or six count.
- Hold that breathe for a three count.
- Exhale the breath through the mouth for a six count.
While performing this procedure the goal during meditation is to focus the mind only on the breathing. When a person starts to think about anything besides the breathing they redirect their mind back to meditation process. Eventually the mind is trained and begins to develop deep levels of focus and concentration.
When a person has trained their mind to handle these four simple steps over a period of time they can begin to add some variation to the process. As an example a person can mentally visualize they are breathing in images of love (like hearts) and they are exhaling various worries. Another popular example is for a person to visualize breathing in bright light and exhaling it.
No matter what one visualizes, the same idea of focusing the mind is the key point to every successful meditation.
The way a person uses their time after meditation is just as important as the prep work and process that goes into this mental discipline.
- Come out of the meditation slowly. Open eyes slowly and let the breathing of the body slowly return to normal.
- Contemplate for a while on the meditation experience. Contemplation helps one to value and appreciate life. This, in turn, creates loving and positive vibrations (or good chi) that will be beneficial long after the meditation session has come to completion.
- Feel free to journal about the experience. Journaling helps to raise psychic awareness. Raising awareness is a key part of developing psychic ability.
- Clean up and step out into the world with a more clam and clear mind.
The Benefits of Meditation
Why meditate? What are the benefits of meditation regularly? The answer is provided by a psychologist named Daniel Goleman. Mr. Goleman, also a writer for The New York Times, in his article The Meditative Mind: The Varieties of Meditation Experience indicates that research on meditation has shown that meditation:
- Lowers blood pressure, lowers blood cholesterol, and enhances blood flow to the heart.
- Enhances the immune function of the body
- Helps to improve the air flow for those who are Asthmatic.
- Helps to reduce pain levels. Meditation has been especially useful for those that suffer from long term backaches and migraines.
- Improves personality
- Increases psychic sensitivity
- Helps improve memory and memory recall
- Lowers stress levels.
By taking the time to properly prepare for, perform, and contemplate on meditation the psychic development student will be well on their way to adding the quality of mental control and focus to their psychic development training. Ultimately, those psychics that meditate on an ongoing bases end up being more accurate and more aware of subtle psychic impressions.