I have been involved in the metaphysical world for over twenty years. I've taught, inspired, advised, and helped thousands of people around the world.
Mystic John Culbertson is my home on the web. I have been professionally involved in the Metaphysical movement for over twenty years in some form or another. Nonprofessionally my involvement has been much longer and dates back to when I was a child and doing reports in elementary school on dream work and dream interpretation.
My professional title is now a metaphysical minister, but in the past, I was known as a tarot card reader, numerologist, psychic, life coach, astrologer, motivational speaker, healer, spiritual counselor, and author.
WHAT IS A METAPHYSICAL MINISTER?
To understand what a metaphysical minister is, you first must understand what the term metaphysics has come to mean in our western society.
Metaphysics these days, at least here in the Western world, refers to a very diverse set of beliefs and practices. What one person in metaphysics believes or practices is not always or even usually what another person in metaphysics believes or practices. Among the topics that fall under metaphysics are such things as:
- Various Eastern, Western, Classical, and Religious Philosophies
- Comparative and Interfaith Religious Studies
- Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies
- ESP and Psychic Ability
- Jungian, Transpersonal, and Theocentric Psychology
- Astrology, Tarot, and Numerology
- Self-Help Studies
- Positive Thinking and Law of Attraction Studies
- Life After Death Studies
- Transcendental Studies
- Reincarnation Studies
A metaphysical minister is one who has:
- Trained in understanding the majority of metaphysical topics
- Trained to be sensitive to the religious beliefs and practices of others
- Trained to use this sensitively and those metaphysical topics to give advice/guidance to others
- Trained to perform various interfaith and nonreligious, secular, and public rituals and ceremonies including baptisms, blessings, memorial services and funerals, adoption celebrations, divorce ceremonies, full moon rituals, prayer services, exorcisms, rites of passages, Holiday rituals and celebrations, and many others.
- Trained to bring their healing love and presence into the lives of others
MY EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND
My educational journey began back in 1999 when I volunteered at a local crisis counseling center. There I attended training in suicide prevention, parental stress counseling, and crisis counseling. In December of 1999, I was awarded a 50-hour training certificate as a paraprofessional crisis counselor.
This would fuel my interest in psychology and I would go on to earn my bachelors of psychology with a specialization in human behavior from Avila University.
I moved to Florida after graduating from college and begin working at Starchild Books, which at the time was home to the astrological institute of integrated studies. I spent much time studying and learning and when I wasn’t doing that I was working as a psychic reader, New Age teacher, web designer, and front desk clerk. In my time here I picked up certificates in:
- Advanced Psychic Development
- Seeing Beyond the Veil
- Channeling, Mediumship, and Spirit Communication
- Teaching Advanced Psychic Development
- Teaching Channeling, Mediumship, and Spirit Communication
- Reiki 1-3
- Kabbalah Pathworking
- Feng Shui
- Ceremonial Magick
I ended up buying Starchild in 2008. I was the last owner of Starchild Books. This store is famous for being founded by Sandy Anastasi and John Maerz and for being where John Edward studied. John Edward has always said that Sandy Anastasi was his only teacher. I’m proud to have studied under and learned not just from John Maerz and Sandy Anastasi, but a host of wonderful teachers and instructors.
In June of 2010, I married and closed the doors of the famous New Age bookstore and spiritual center.
From 2010-2015 I studied a variety of disciplines eventually earning certificates in:
- Level 1 Shamanism
- Life Coaching
- Level 1 NLP
- Certified Hypnotist
- 2nd Degree Wicca
- Christian Biblical Studies
I also studied for a bachelor of metaphysics in this time. I earned my Bachelors of Metaphysics in 2016 along with my metaphysical practitioner (spiritual counseling) certificate and metaphysical minister ordination through the International Metaphysical Ministry.
In November of 2018, I completed P.R.I.D. E. training or Parent Resource for Information, Development, and Education training.
In 2019, after much work, I earned my Masters in Metaphysics, a degree similar to a M.Div. I did my Master Thesis on The Power of Affirmative Prayer.
Currently, I’m working on my Ph.D. in Pastoral Counseling Psychology and am almost finished with my Chaplaincy certificate.
MY MISSION STATEMENT
To empower people to take control of, change, and improve their lives by unlocking their own unique spiritual gifts and applying metaphysical principles to their life.
My primary focus is on helping others tap into, experience, and ultimately control their own spiritual gifts. My secondary goal is on helping people to change and improve their lives.
Over the past 20 years, I’ve helped spiritual seekers find and attain higher spiritual states of awareness and consciousness. I have also helped many of my students become professionals in their chosen new age and/or metaphysical careers. I am probably best known, however, for my private one-on-one sessions and as being a teacher of psychic development.
One of the ways I choose to educate others is through writing. To date, I have authored five books – all of which have metaphysical concepts and principles woven into them in some form or another.
These books include:
- Senior Year Romance – a coming of age story about high school love and romance
- Christmas Wishes – a short fictional story about family love
- Miracle of the Angels – a short story based on a special time in my life.
- Improve Your Intuition – a book on developing psychic and intuitive ability.
- Psychic Self Defense and Protection – designed to teach the basics of energy protection.
I’m currently working on Topics in Spiritual Enlightenment, Relationship Fortunetelling, and The Academy of Junior Adventures.
Additionally, my articles have appeared in various magazines including Natural Awakenings, Light Bridges, and Horizons, on my own personal blog, and throughout the internet world including in the Esoteric Library.
- I am married to my wife Rose.
- She is not only my wife but also my best friend and life companion.
- Rose and I do almost everything together when we aren’t busy with our careers.
- Many times it is Rose you’ll find yourself speaking to on the phone!
- We have three foreign exchange daughters.
- Natalie is from Taiwan and is in college in Taiwan studying Japanese and English languages. She also teaches English part-time.
- Mizuki is from Japan. She is attending college in PA and is studying fashion design and merchandising.
- Eunice is also from Taiwan and she is finishing up high-school there with dreams of becoming a veterinarian.
- We have a 14-year-old Pekinese dog, Beaver and two cats, Freddy and Sadie.
- We are in the process of adding a new member to our family. More details to come in the future!